John Gruber thinking out loud about John Battelle’s assertion that Apple could cut the company off by restricting necessary iOS remote access:
But I think the way Apple could most hurt Pebble is not by changing the SDK, but by releasing its own linked-to-your-iPhone wristwatch gadget. (Imagine, say, an iPod Nano with Pebble-like features and a LunaTik-style strap.)
At first, it’s sort of strange to think about how many of the huge tech-related Kickstarter projects have revolved around watches and iOS devices in some way. (Remember that LunaTik started with Kickstarter at first also.) But actually, it’s not that strange at all.
These successes say that there’s clearly a big demand for something along these lines. Add to the equation products like the Jawbone Up and the Nike FuelBand and things start to get really interesting.
Will Apple make a wrist device? I don’t know. But they should at the very least be thinking about it.
All I know is that at least 50 times a day I reach in my pocket to see why my phone just buzzed. A new email? A DM? An iMessage? Some sports score alert? Instagram? Path? Facebook? Foursquare?
I reach into my pocket, pull out my iPhone, turn on the screen, see the notification, then turn off the screen, then put the phone back in my pocket.
Imagine if I could just look at my wrist?
Pebble gets us close to this dream (which is why I bought one and you should too), but not fully there. Maybe Apple opens up new device APIs, or maybe they build that new device themselves. I’d be fine with either.
This will be something I hope to support and have on my wrist in the near future.
- lunar likes this
- appjmp reblogged this from parislemon
- neongolden likes this
- pachecoo likes this
- glowingrectangles likes this
- influxmedia reblogged this from emergentfutures and added:
- influxmedia likes this
- rokaccia reblogged this from emergentfutures
- ddhgator reblogged this from emergentfutures
- joyvox reblogged this from emergentfutures and added:
- hymanaeus reblogged this from emergentfutures
- natediggitydawg reblogged this from emergentfutures
- emergentfutures reblogged this from parislemon
- knightworg reblogged this from parislemon
- alanduda likes this
- alanduda reblogged this from sexpigeon
- dinesharjani likes this
- kvnrvi reblogged this from sexpigeon and added:
- mattheweternal likes this
- brijesht reblogged this from parislemon
- yourmonkeycalled likes this
- colinashe likes this
- nyceophyte likes this
- frankiesb likes this
- mslilyb likes this
- jrpaperstacks likes this
- evlolo likes this
- caseyagollan likes this
- rolandcrosby likes this
- irondavy likes this
- dallas likes this
- slim likes this
- petervidani likes this
- david likes this
- brunabenvegnu likes this
- inky likes this
- gordonc reblogged this from sexpigeon
- beigeinside likes this
- ladymisskate likes this
- tessastrain likes this
- redkeg likes this
- sexpigeon reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- roguedecks likes this
- therogueslife likes this
- kchet reblogged this from parislemon
- srikard likes this
- cadence likes this
- rockyourcortex likes this
- trinibird likes this